I first learned about wool dryer balls when I started using essential oils. They seem like a no-brainer. They save you a lot of money over time since you don’t have to buy disposable fabric sheets, they are MUCH better on the environment and they actually work. So I made my own. It took me about a year to get around to actually making them and it took 1-2 hours of my time.
Keep in mind that I am not a handy DIY person and just getting to a store to find the wool took me forever and wasn’t fun with my little children. And, here’s the bad part of wool dryer balls – they get lost. Mine are always rolling all around my laundry room and getting lost or they get wrapped in a sheet, only to find them months later.
Plus, the more you have, the faster your clothes dry, so I knew I needed to find an easier way to get dryer balls. So when I saw them on Amazon, I was so excited! There are several options and they are so much cheaper than other places I’ve seen to buy them.
10 Reasons to Ditch Dryer Sheets & Switch to Wool Dryer Balls
- Although they make your clothes feel soft and smell “fresh,” fabric softeners and dryer sheets are some of the most toxic products around. They add toxic chemicals to your laundry and, consequently, your body.
- 100% eco-friendly – it can take YEARS for a dryer sheet to break down in landfills.
- Safe for all clothes
- Saves time, energy and money
- Replaces the need for dryer sheets and fabric softener!
- Can be left in the dryer; they won’t melt
- Quieter and more natural than plastic dryer balls
- Excellent for use with pure essential oils for scented laundry
- Dryer sheets and softeners have chemicals and waxes that can kill a dryer’s heating element.
- Softeners/dryer sheets cause wax buildup on the lint catcher so hot moisture cannot escape the dryer, which could burn out the heater.
P R O B L E M :
Your clothes never seem to dry all the way, creating longer dry times. To make matters worse, they come out of the dryer wrinkled and full of static electricity. And using dryer sheets or fabric softeners isn’t an option because they can cause harm to your dryer, not to mention the environment, with all those chemicals.
S O L U T I O N :
Wool dryer balls reduce dryer time, wrinkles and static by creating space between your clothes as they are tossed gently in the dryer, allowing more air to circulate between and among them. And, what’s even better, they don’t contain chemicals or dryer-harming ingredients like most dryer sheets and fabric softeners.
Wool dryer balls are a natural fabric softener you use in your dryer. They bounce around to naturally separate and create space between your laundry, allowing the hot dryer air to circulate better and soften fabrics. Made of 100% wool, they help reduce drying time, static cling and wrinkles, all naturally, without chemicals. Use them instead of fabric softener or dryer sheets and radically reduce chemicals in your home.
- Soften naturally
- Reduces drying time by 25%
- Helps eliminate wrinkles
- Helps reduce static
- No chemicals
How to Use
- Simply toss the dryer balls in your dryer and start. No need to remove them from the dryer, just reuse!
- I highly recommend you dry on a lower temperature for less time than normal or your clothes could become over-dry, which will result in static.
- Use a minimum of 4 balls but 6 is better.
- Optional – Try them with a drop or two of pure essential oil for heavenly scented laundry. After the laundry is completely dried, take out 2 of the dryer balls and apply the desired amount of pure essential oil to each ball. Toss the 2 back into the dryer with the other one and run on Air Fluff (no heat), so the delicate oil is not damaged, for 10 minutes. Your laundry will smell heavenly, and the scent will linger for several days!
The Best Wool Dryer Balls
I found the top 6 sets of dryer balls on Amazon. That means they have the most reviews and at least 4.6 stars out of 5.
Here they are listed in order from the most popular to the least popular.