Maybe you’ve heard of your friend talk about essential oils or seen people post about it on social media, but you are left wondering – what are essential oils? I mean, are they really oils? Are they oily and greasy? I mean, that’s kind of what the name implies. But they are actually nothing like a greasy cooking oil.
What this video and/or read the article below to learn more about what essential oils are:
Have you ever squeezed an orange or lemon peel and felt and smelled the greasy residue left on your hand? Well, that’s actually an essential oil.
- Essential oils are distilled from the root, stems, bark and leaves of plants. Their only ingredient is the plant, as long as you are getting real, pure essential oils then that’s all you’re getting. For example, peppermint oil is simply peppermint that has been distilled.
- There are no other ingredients. The oils are naturally in the plants to protect the plant from environmental threats – so they can do the same thing for you.
- Since our bodies are made of similar building blocks as plants, the essential oils work in our bodies in the same way that they would for the plant.
Essential oils are powerful!
- They are 50-70 times more powerful than their herbal counterparts. One drop of peppermint essential oils has the same benefits as 28 cups of peppermint tea.
- They benefit mood and mental health and support body organs and systems so that the body can heal itself.
Wild orange is a good example of an essential oil. It’s wonderful for improving your mood. My sister-in-law calls it “happy juice.” But it’s also good for cleansing your home or the air.
One of my favorite and most versatile oils is Frankincense. It’s benefits include:
- Supports healthy cellular function
- Promotes feelings of relation
- Helps reduce appearance of skin imperfections
There’s a saying, “When in doubt, use Frankincense.” It think it’s partly because it’s one of the more expensive oils, so try less expensive oils first, and if you they don’t work for you, Frankincense probably will.