When first starting to use doTERRA essential oils, you should proceed with caution. Essential Oils can be very safe, as long as you follow these precautions:
- Do a patch test on the skin
- Dilute with a carrier oil for topical and internal use
- The feet are the safest part of the body
- Avoid eyes, mouth and other sensitive areas of the body
- Remember that less more often is more effective
- Only use essential oils that are certified to be pure with no added fillers
If you put the carrier oil on first, it will slow down the absorption rate in to the body. If you put the carrier oil on second, it will speed up the absorption rate. Or you can dilute before you apply, like in a roller bottle or capsule.
Usage in ANY Context is Systemic
How fast does the liver “process” an essential oil?
- Liver – breaks down every essential oil utilized
- The larger the quantity the more the liver has to deal with. Less oils more frequently is always better
- Times it takes to break down? (varied opinions from 30-120 minutes)
- Excessive use at one given time can reduce the effects of that oil
Quality vs. Quantity
Less more often is the best philosophy. The action of an essential oil depends on its relative concentrations of each constituent.
How much of an essential oil(s) does one use?
- “A couple drops a couple times per day, on, on and around you is a great place to start.”
- Consider body weight, size, age, sensitivity, usage experience, personality and history