- Diffuse for a calming and relaxing aroma. Blends well with other citrus oils, Cassia, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, Geranium, and Lemongrass.
- Take internally to help ease feelings of tension, help calm the nervous system, and promote restful sleep.*
- Before going to bed, add a few drops of Petitgrain along with Lavender or Bergamot to pillows and bedding for its aromatic benefits.
- Add one to two drops to water or juice and drink to help support the health of the cardiovascular, immune, nervous, and digestive systems.*
Yes! I want to learn how I can get 20% off select enrollment kits in September 2018!»
Petitgrain Essential Oil Product Description
Petitgrain is derived from the bitter orange tree, which has a long history of use in traditional health practices. Historically, Petitgrain has been used for cleaning purposes and it has been used internally to support healthy immune system and nervous system function.* Emerging scientific evidence provides support for these traditional and other uses.
There are three essential oils derived from the bitter orange tree. Petitgrain is distilled from the leaves and twigs of the tree, Neroli essential oil is distilled from the blossoms, and Bitter Orange oil is produced by cold pressing the rinds of the fruits. Petitgrain is widely used in the perfume industry, giving body sprays, fragrances, lotions, and colognes a fresh, herbaceous note that is popular among both women and men.
By sourcing Petitgrain from Paraguay through our Co-Impact Sourcing®initiative, doTERRA is able to support needed rural community development projects and provide diversified income for small-scale farmers. This approach provides an economically viable alternative to clear-cutting land, dramatically helping to protect the remaining patches of the Atlantic Rainforest in eastern Paraguay.
Petitgrain Oil Uses and Benefits
- Perhaps one of the greatest benefits of Petitgrain oil is its ability to promote relaxing feelings. Due to its chemical makeup, Petitgrain can be helpful in creating a calm, relaxed environment to promote feelings of relaxation. Consider placing a few drops of Petitgrain on your pillows and bedding before going to bed in order to enjoy its aromatic benefits. You can also combine other relaxing oils like Lavender or Bergamot with Petitgrain on the bedding to promote a more relaxing atmosphere.
- Petitgrain oil has long been known for its benefits to the body when taken internally. Taking Petitgrain internally can help benefit internal systems like the cardiovascular, nervous, digestive, and immune systems.* To enjoy the internal benefits of Petitgrain oil for the body’s systems, add one to two drops of the oil to water or other beverages.* Not only will this allow you to reap the internal benefits of the oil, but you’ll simultaneously get to enjoy the fresh taste that Petitgrain has to offer.
- The relaxing properties of Petitgrain can also be beneficial for massage. When you want a relaxing foot massage, dilute a few drops of Petitgrain oil with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil before rubbing the combination on the bottoms of the feet. As you breathe in the calming scent of Petitgrain oil and massage the feet, you’ll feel relaxed in no time.
- While the internal use of Petitgrain oil can be helpful for promoting the health of body systems, it can also help further promote relaxation and calm feelings.* Consider taking Petitgrain internally when you want to ease tense feelings, calm the nervous system, or promote a restful night’s sleep.*
- Similar to other citrus essential oils, Petitgrain oil makes a great addition to hot beverages. If you enjoy drinking herbal tea or other hot drinks, consider adding a few drops of Petitgrain oil to help enhance the flavor. Not only will you enjoy the unique flavor of Petitgrain oil, but you’ll also benefit from the calming properties it provides.*
- To help reduce the appearance of skin imperfections, consider adding a couple drops of Petitgrain oil to Fractionated Coconut Oil and applying it to skin blemishes or imperfections. When using a new essential oil topically, it can be helpful to test a small dose of the oil on your skin to ensure that it doesn’t cause any skin sensitivity or irritation. Due to their potency, it is also important to dilute essential oils with a carrier oil before using them on the skin to help minimize skin irritation.
- Want to create a calming atmosphere in your home, office, or classroom? Diffuse Petitgrain oil in the essential oil diffuser of your choice when you want to create a relaxing, calming environment. You can also combine Petitgrain with other calming oils like Bergamot, Lavender or Eucalyptus to further promote relaxation.
- Along with benefits for the systems of the body, Petitgrain oil may also provide antioxidant support when taken internally.* To enjoy the antioxidant benefits that Petitgrain oil has to offer, consider taking one to two drops in a doTERRA Veggie Cap for a dietary supplement.*
Directions for Use
Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of choice.
Internal use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl. oz. of liquid.
Topical use: Apply one to two drops to the desired area. Dilute with a carrier oil to minimize any skin sensitivity. See additional precautions below.
Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.