Here you can learn about doTERRA frankincense essential oil uses with recipes. I explain all about frankincense and all the ways you can use it.
doTERRA frankincense is known as the King of Oils because of its biblical references and the wide variety of benefits it offers. I love using Frankincense but try to use it sparingly because of its value. One use for it that I recently discovered was to use it in a diffuser blend with Wild Orange. That is probably a known fact that the combo smells good but I just discovered how delightful it really is! This blend puts me in a better mood and gives me extra motivation while I’m at work.
It is one of my favorite doTERRA oils because it has such a unique aroma and so many practical uses. I always keep it oil close at hand because I find myself using it nearly every day. Not only does it have a rich scent, but it has many benefits for the skin, can promote a relaxing environment in the home, is often used for massage, and more. Once you start using it in your daily routine, it will likely become one of your favorite oils too.
Often called the “king of oils, ” Frankincense promotes feelings of peace and overall wellness when used aromatically, while topical and internal uses provide modern health benefits.*
- Diffuse during your yoga practice to focus your intention for the day
- Take one to two drops in a Veggie capsule to support healthy cellular function*
- Add to moisturizer to reduce the appearance of blemishes and to rejuvenate the skin
- When traveling somewhere dry, apply Frankincense to maintain healthy looking fingernails
- Apply to the bottom of your feet to promote feelings of relaxation and to balance mood
- After a day of outdoor activity, massage frankincense into hands and feet for a warming and soothing effect
15 Frankincense Essential Oil Uses
- Calm Down. Inhale with Lavender and Peppermint and apply to neck to help calm stress and relieve tension.
- Nourish Your Skin. Use a drop of Frankincense with 3 drops of carrier oil or dōTERRA Spa Hand and Body Lotion for beautiful, radiant looking skin.
- Spread The Love. Frankincense smells wonderful and uplifts the mood. Wear it as a perfume to lift your mood and feelings of alertness.
- Overworked Hands? Rub Frankincense on your hands after a long day of gardening or working to promote a normal inflammatory response.
- Time To Focus. Apply 1-2 drops to your temples and the back of your neck to help improve your concentration.
- Nails Of Steel. Dry weather can take a toll on your nails. Try applying a drop of Frankincense to strengthen weak fingernails.
- Goodness In A Cup. Dilute a drop of Frankincense in 1 teaspoon of honey or in a small herbal tea and take daily to maintain good health.
- A Calming Mood Lifter. Frankincense can be applied to the bottoms of feet to relax and calm mood swings minor to major. In fact, it has been used to calm expectant mothers during pregnancy and labor. Diffuse in the room or massage a drop onto the chest or back of the neck.
- Cellular Vigor. Frankincense is a component of DDR Prime because it promotes healthy cellular proliferation. So, take Frankincense in a Veggie Capsule to support healthy cells in your body
- No More Nerves. Use Frankincense to help relieve anxiety and create a positive mood Try combining Frankincense, Peppermint and Wild Orange in your hand, rub hands together and inhale deeply. This mix will also help with the most severe need for a three o’ clock pick-me-up
- Be Youthful. Frankincense can help promote youthful, radiant looking skin and slow the signs of aging by reducing the appearance of skin imperfections. Dab with 1 drop of a carrier oil to trouble areas.
- Relax And Revitalize. Soak in a warm Frankincense bath to calm the nerves or diffuse Frankincense in the bathroom while you relax in the tub.
- Frank To The Rescue. Frankincense has been used for centuries for challenged skin, skin problems and nearly everything related to skin. It’s wonderful for aging skin too Apply directly to the skin and dab the excess with a cotton ball.
- Muscle & Soreness Relief. Use Frankincense with a cold compress after working out or on a hot day to cool down and relax. Or, use with a hot compress to soothe tired muscles or occasional cramps.
- Personal Sauna. After showering, add a few drops to a warm, wet washcloth for a final rinse. Enjoy the earthy smell as the steam creates your own personal sauna.
Known as the king of essential oils, Frankincense has a variety of notable uses and benefits. This powerful essential oil is revered for its ability to beautify and rejuvenate skin when applied topically, and to promote cellular health and immunity and produce a healthy inflammatory response when taken internally,* among other benefits.
With all of its many uses, there is no question as to why Frankincense was highly esteemed by ancient civilizations and used for the most sacred of practices. For some religions, Frankincense is correlated with one of the most prized possessions of ancient biblical times, as it was considered valuable enough to be given as a gift to Christ after his birth.
Frankincense was also used during religious ceremonies for salves for soothing skin and perfume. The perfume or aroma that Frankincense emits promotes feelings of satisfaction, peace, relaxation, and overall wellness, which explains its unique value in ancient times.
Just as in its treasured past, Frankincense oil is highly valued in the doTERRA community and continues to be one of the most popular essential oils.
Uses and Benefits
Watch this video to learn more about the benefits and uses of Frankincense essential oil:
- Add Frankincense’s incredible aroma to any room in your house by making this DIY Holiday Room Spray with Frankincense oil. Start by getting an empty glass spray bottle and putting in 15 drops of Frankincense, 15 drops of Grapefruit, and 30 drops of Douglas Fir. Top off the rest of the bottle with water. You now have the most amazing room spray! Just spritz this spray on carpet, furniture, or in the air of any room you desire. When using this homemade spray, you will be able to bask in the rich fragrance of Frankincense essential oil and experience its relaxing and peaceful benefits.
- Razor bumps can be irritating and can turn your morning shave into a daylong frustration. Even though shaving may be essential, razor bumps are not. Provide relief to your skin with this do-it-yourself Razor Relief Serum enhanced with Frankincense. Frankincense is one of the best oils to help skin feel and look rejuvenated. By using this serum infused with Frankincense oil, the chemical properties of the oil will aid in reducing appearances of skin imperfections and the serum will benefit the irritated skin by soothing the sensitive razor bumps for an all-day appearance and feel your skin will love.
- What better way to start your day than with the relaxing fragrance of Frankincense? Whether you are a yoga enthusiast or a morning meditator, diffusing Frankincense oil during these experiences will aid you in focusing your intention for the day. The fragrances of Frankincense will also help bring added satisfaction, peace, relaxation, and even feelings of overall wellness to your morning routine. With its strong aromatic properties, Frankincense oil is essential in giving a positive and focused lift to the rest of your day.
- One of Frankincense’s most powerful benefits is its ability to promote health, specifically cellular function.* Try taking Frankincense oil internally by adding one to two drops in a Veggie capsule. This natural supplement will help support healthy cellular function.* In fact, doTERRA has found Frankincense to be so beneficial in supporting cellular function that doTERRA uses it in their highest selling supplements—the doTERRA Lifelong Vitality Pack®. Try this DIY supplement and experience the cellular benefits you may be in need of.*
- Are your hands experiencing dryness from the winter air? Do you want to improve the look of your scaly hands? Frankincense can help! Whenever your hands are feeling or looking unmoisturized or marred by harsh weather, add a couple drops of Frankincense oil to the moisturizer of your choice to help hydrate and rejuvenate the skin. The scent of Frankincense combined with your moisturizer will add a warm, spicy, and clean scent to your skin. You’ll want to take this lotion with you wherever you go! When using Frankincense to revive the look and feel of your hands, don’t forget your fingernails. Whenever traveling somewhere dry, apply Frankincense oil to maintain healthy looking fingernails. Simply place a drop of oil on your nail and rub it around the cuticles and edges of your fingernails. This will leave your nails looking healthy and strong even in the driest locations.
- Feeling stressed? It just so happens that Frankincense has a solution for that. The chemical components of Frankincense result in an extremely powerful aroma that can help to dispel negative feelings—like stress. If you are feeling like the pressures of life are weighing down your mood, apply Frankincense to the bottom of your feet. The soothing sensation and aroma will promote feelings of relaxation and a balanced mood. If you are looking for more ways to enhance your mood through essential oils, make sure to check out doTERRA’s Make Over Your Mood blog post. This insightful post shows which essential oils and diffuser blends are best used to promote favorable feelings. It also gives more tips on how to boost your mood naturally. Don’t let outside pressures get you down, use your essential oils to get you feeling upright and ready to take on the day ahead of you.
- There is so much fun to be had outdoors! From running around in the grass to biking a dirt path to planting some seasonal flowers, your hands and feet are constantly active, helping you make the best out of your outdoor adventures. But at the end of the day, feet and hands can get tired from all of that activity. Treat your hands and feet with a Frankincense oil massage that will have them feeling and looking rejuvenated for another active day outside. Add a couple drops of Frankincense to your feet and hands and massage the oil into your skin. This massage will give you a soothing and warming effect that your hands and feet won’t want to miss out on.
- Try this amazing “Star in the East” diffuser blend and fill your home with a warm and peaceful aroma. To create this blend, add 1 drop of Frankincense oil, 1 drop of Sandalwood oil, and 2 drops of Grapefruit oil to your diffuser for the perfect diffuser blend. The “Star in the East” blend works great for encouraging relaxation and uplifting mood.
- Enjoy a facial rejuvenation day with this DIY Clay Facial Mask infused with Frankincense. With a simple combination of bentonite clay , cider vinegar, and essential oils, your face will feel nourished and fresh. Because Frankincense oil contains properties that help revitalize and beautify the skin, this homemade clay mask with Frankincense will prove ideal for facial care. For best results, apply this mask to your skin once a week and enjoy that continual fresh facial glow.
- With so many benefits and uses, Frankincense has rightfully earned its title as the “king” of all essential oils. It’s beautifying, aromatic, and health-promoting* properties are extremely powerful and can easily improve an everyday lifestyle. For anyone seeking a helpful essential oil tip, always remember, if in doubt, use Frankincense.
Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
Internal use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl. oz. of liquid.
Topical use: Apply one to two drops to the desired area. Dilute with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil to minimize any skin sensitivity.
Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.
* Statements with asterisks refer to internal use. All others refer to aromatic or topical use.