I have to admit that I didn’t totally come up with this recipe on my own. We had a similar smoothie from a food truck several years ago. My children LOVED it, greens and all and begged me to figure out how to make it myself. So after a little experimenting, I came up with this recipe. One of my favorite things about it is that it’s fun and easy to make. Wouldn’t this be such a good recipe to make for a doTERRA party? Plus, I love that it gets my children to eat their greens, raw fruit and essential oils. And, it’s not a small amount of greens. I mean, 3 cups of spinach. That’s a lot of greens. It’s not just a token amount of greens so you can call it a “green” smoothie (and don’t tell me you don’t do that sometimes).
Here are some adaptions and substitutions I like to make to this recipe:
- Kale instead of spinach works well
- The riper the banana, the sweeter it is
- To make this extra creamy and rich, chill the coconut milk first then only use the thick cream from the top of the can
- You may substitute the coconut milk with regular milk, avocado milk, green yogurt, etc. Lots of options.
- I almost always never use the maple syrup, although my daughter likes lots of extra. You could use another sweetener too, like honey or sugar.
- You could experiment with other essential oils, like lime or lemon
- I almost always add a few dashes of Real Salt to my smoothies. I would never add “regular” salt to a smoothie, but Real Salt brings out the flavor and makes it taste sweeter
I love to make this for breakfast and for all my doTERRA parties!
- 3 cups Spinach packed, Kale, or a blend of small leafy greens
- 1 Banana peeled
- 1 Orange peeled
- 1 1/2 cups Pineapple cubed
- 1/2 Avocado pitted and skin removed
- 1 cup Coconut Milk canned, for best flavor
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup optional, use if fruit is not very sweet
- 2 cups Crushed Ice
- 3 drops Wild Orange Essential Oil optional
- Dried Coconut Chips optional
- Chia Seeds optional
Pour into 3-4 glasses and top with dried coconut chips and chia seeds, if desired.
Will keep up to 2-3 days refrigerated. Stir briskly to re-combine if storing in the fridge.