My kids have a blast making these little Essential Oil Candy Creams. They also never can wait for them to finish curing before eating them, though I found that 12 hours of curing time yielded about the same texture as 24 hours. If they like the texture before the time is up that is fine. The candies are for them. 🙂
These candies melt in your mouth and require no cooking. My oldest daughter makes these Essential Oil Candy Creams often and loves making them for all of her friends! For these Essential Oil Candy Creams, you can choose to dye them the colors of your choice and pick flavors of oils that you want as well. For the dye, I recommend you either not let young children help or just make them wear paint clothes or take off their shirt. The colors can correspond if you want or can be totally random. It is just whatever you prefer. We decided to flavor ours with peppermint essential oil, wild orange essential oil, lime essential oil, and grapefruit essential oil. We have images below of the step by step process to help you know what to do.Print
Child-Friendly Essential Oil Candy Creams Recipe
My daughter loves to makes these candy creams because they are so fast, easy and delicious.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 36 - 40 candies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 1 Egg White
- 2–3 cups Powdered Sugar
- Food Coloring
- Essential Oils (for flavoring)
- Place the egg white in a mixing bowl and beat with a wire whisk until frothy, but not stiff.
- Stir the powdered sugar into the egg white until it is too stiff to stir any longer.
- Add in powdered sugar and mix it with your hands until it is the consistency of a firm dough. You may not use all of the powdered sugar. I only needed about 2 1/2 cups total.
- Divide the dough into four sections and place in small bowls. Add a little bit of food coloring to each bowl, correlating it with the flavors you will be using.
- Pour 2 drops of essential oil into each bowl, correlating it with the food colors you used.
- Mix each bowl of candy dough, essential oil, and food coloring together with your hands.
- Roll the dough into a log shape, fold in half, and roll again, repeating this until the color is evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Add a little more powdered sugar to your hands if it starts to become sticky.
- Divide the dough into sections that are about 1-1/2 teaspoons in volume.
- Roll each piece into a ball and press it down with the tines of a fork.
- Let the candies cure for 12-24 hours.
Keywords: powdered sugar, egg whites, candy, essential oil
Here are step-by-step photos of the process:
These Essential Oil Candy Creams are really fun and easy to make. You really should try them. My grandmother made mints like this for my aunt’s wedding reception. That would be kind of fun I think. It’s a good way to get the perfect color and flavors you want without a lot of work. Plus they can be made ahead of time so that’s perfect. The kids could even help make them so that would help a lot with the time you have to spend making them. It would also help the kids feel like they are contributing by helping.
These would also be good for a party of any kind.